What is a an ENT Surgeon?
Ear Nose and Throat Surgeons (ENT Surgeons) treat disorders of the face, upper aerodigestive tract and ear. Just to confuse matters they are also referred to as Otorhinolaryngologists – Head and Neck Surgeons. General plastic and maxillofacial surgery evolved from this specialty which is principally surgical but also encompasses the medical management of head and neck problems. This means that although Mr Mckiernan has subspecialist interests in rhinological and facial plastic surgery he also has expertise in the medical management of sinus conditions and allergic rhinitis
An ENT Consultant treats both children and adults and treat conditions such as:
- Ear infections and disorders (dizziness and tinnitus)
- Hearing loss and related problems
- Different kinds of allergies such as hay fever or rhinitis
- Sinus infections and tonsillitis
- Abnormalities that are present at the time of birth or are congenital
- Abnormalities that are acquired, such as anosmia (no sense of smell) , deviated septum
- Swallowing disorders or difficulty in swallowing
- Disorders of speech( e.g. laryngitis, hoarse voice)
- Benign growths and cancerous growths, tumours of the nose, mouth, sinus, larynx, throat, upper oesophagus and thyroid
- Facial nerve problems such as Bell’s palsy
- Sleep disorders such as snoring and obstructive sleep apnoea.
ENT doctors need to complete at least 14 years of education and supervised training to qualify for a certificate of completion of specialist training and secure a Consultant post. During this time the trainee is exposed to all of the subspecialities of Otorhinolaryngology –Head and Neck Surgery including head and neck cancer, facial reconstructive surgery, allergies, audiology, otology, laryngology, rhinology and pediatric ENT.
Specialist ENT Surgeon in Hertfordshire
David McKiernan has been practicing since 1989 and is an accredited Otorhinolaryngologist – Head and Neck Surgeon with subspecialist interests in sinus surgery, rhinoplasty and the medical management of nasal conditions. He is a Consultant Surgeon at Addenbrookes and the West Suffolk Hospitals NHS trusts. He is also a Fellow of the Royal College of surgeons of England, a Member of the British Association of Otolaryngologists – Head and Neck Surgeons, the European Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery and the European Rhinological Society. He also belongs to the British Association of Paediatric Otolaryngologists.
After completing Surgical training in London and Fellowships at European centres of excellence, David was appointed a Consultant in 2002 and helped establish the Nose Clinic and combined ENT and Nasal Allergy clinic. He has extensive expeience in primary and revision rhinoplasty and rhinological surgery for patients who have nasal deformities, poor nasal function, polyps and sinus problems.
Advances in Treatment:
- Balloon Sinuplasty: A relatively none-invasive technique to restore normal sinus drainage.
- Image-Guided Sinus Surgery: Allows correlation of the surgical anatomy with the pre-operative CT scan.
- Endoscopic septoplasty and septoplasty without packs
Make an Appointment
To make an appointment with Mr Mckiernan, please contact his private secretary, Michelle Freeman on 01954 780588 or use the form on the appointments page.