What is an ENT surgeon?
ENT (or Ear Nose and Throat) Surgeons specialise as you would expect in disorders of the ear, nose and throat and are also referred to as Otorhinolaryngologists – Head and Neck Surgeons. They undergo extensive supervised training in the management of conditions affecting the face, upper aero-digestive tract and ear. These include sinus problems, difficulty breathing through the nose, correction of nasal deformity and prominent ears, treatment of skin cancer on the head and neck and phonosurgery amongst many others.
ENT Surgery has an illustrious history and it was from this branch of surgery that General Plastic Surgery and Maxillofacial Surgery evolved.
Cambridgeshire Specialist in Nose Surgery
David McKiernan was appointed a Consultant to Addenbrookes and the West Suffolk Hospitals in 2002 with a subspecialist interest in rhinology and facial plastic surgery and has provided care in these subspecialities ever since. His appointment followed Fellowships in Facial Plastic Surgery and Rhinological Surgery and success as one of the first European candidates in the Diplomate exam of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. His practice encompasses the following treatments:
- Primary and revision functional and cosmetic rhinoplasty
- Correction of prominent ears
- Adult and paediatric ENT
- Treatment of facial skin cancer
- Endoscopic sinus surgery
- Image-guided nasal surgery
- Frontal sinus surgery
- Complex rhinology
- Balloon sinuplasty
Mr McKiernan is also a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, Member of the European Academy Facial Plastic Surgery and Member of the British Association of Otorhinolarygologists –Head and Neck Surgeons. He is actively involved in Medical Student and Registrar training and is proud to receive excellent feedback from his patients
Advances in Treatment:
- Balloon Sinuplasty: A balloon catheter is used to overcome obstruction and restore normal sinus drainage.
- Image-guided nasal surgery increases patient safety and ensures a more complete procedure can be undertaken by cross referencing surgical anatomy with pre-operative images.
- Extended role of endoscopic sinus surgery to include orbital decompression, sphenopalatine artery ligation, DCR and anterior skull base surgery
- Endoscopic septoplasty to straighten the nasal septum and restore the airway.
- Nasal surgery without packs
ENT Doctor at the Nuffield Hospital
The Nuffield Hospital is a modern purpose built facility on the site of the old Evelyn Hospital.
Make an Appointment
To make an appointment with Mr Mckiernan, please contact his private secretary, Michelle Freeman on 01954 780588 or use the form on the appointments page.